Tuesday, January 1, 2013

5:00 am Every. Single. Day.

KJV Proverbs 24:30-34  "I went by the field of the slothful, and by the vineyard of the man void of understanding; And, lo, it was all grown over with thorns, and nettles had covered the face thereof, and the stone wall thereof was broken down.  Then I saw, and considered it well:  I looked upon it, and received instruction. Yet a little sleep. a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep:  So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth; and thy want as an armed man."


I like to sleep.  I mean, I REALLY like sleeping.  It might be one of my favorite activities.  I might like it more than chocolate.  So reading these verses made me uncomfortable.  I sleep too late.  I know it.  Yet there is a little voice in my head that excuses this bad habit.  I can hear it now. "You work hard.  You deserve that rest.  You will be in a better mood if you get your nap out.  Its not like sleeping is an ungodly activity.  Our bodies require rest. etc"

That voice is soooo seductive....and dangerous.

I haven't always been a late sleeper.  In fact, I was known as a morning person while growing up and in college.  I got up every morning with my husband when we were first married.  And then I had my first child. I did what every mamma of a newborn should do.  I slept when the baby slept, and I was up when the baby was up.  When the baby started sleeping more, so did I.  When she started to school, I got into a better routine of waking early, but then baby number two arrived.  And I slept, as much as I could, when the baby slept.  I woke when he woke.  And my darling husband fended for himself every morning, encouraging me to rest because he knew how draining babies can be.  But the baby is four and I am still sleeping in.  And then I run into these verses.  Sigh.

So baby step number one will be waking at 5:00 am.  Every.  Single.  Day.  No sleeping in on Saturdays and Sundays.  The sleep experts say it is easier on the body to wake up at the same time every day.  So that is the plan.  5:00 am.  Every. Single. Day.

I know it will be better for my family.  I know it will be better for me.  I did this for one week a while back and it was a great week.  Then I listened to the voices, and slept in again..and again..and again.  But I don't want "want"  to bust into my life like an armed man busting into my house to steal what is valuable.  I don't want poverty to drop in for a visit as a traveler, or stick around like an unwanted guest.  And while this certainly applies to monetary things, it applies so much more to truly precious things like peace, order, love, and godliness.  Pray for me, if you would.  I am under no delusions about how difficult this task will be, but I believe if I take the step my life will be better.  I hope to share how it is better as I try to develop this good habit.

See you in the morning!

3 comments:

  1. I woke up, made breakfast, started a fire, sent my husband off to work, and read my Bible in a quiet house sipping my cup of hot tea. I could get used to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love for you to share how this plan brings you blessings as they come. Keep it up, you CAN do it!
    It is a habit I want to get better at too.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too. Before the moving craziness, I actually looked forward to getting up early because I got an hour -a peaceful, quiet hour- to read and drink coffee. Now that we are moved, I have no excuse (as if I did before) not to reclaim the routine. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete