Saturday, April 28, 2012

Latin?

I am trying to decide whether I should add Latin to our curriculum.  I am switching over to a more classical way of educating as guided by The Well Trained Mind.  They highly recommend learning Latin, but I am hesitant.   My 5th grader wants to start learning Spanish, and I should have access to a free curriculum.  I hate to tell her she can't learn Spanish because we are going to study Latin.  And I hate to pay for a Latin curriculum.  I do think Latin would greatly benefit her vocabulary skills, which are somewhat lacking, in my opinion, though she tests above average.

I need opinions and reasons.  Should we pursue Latin?  Spanish instead?  Both?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know about learning about learning Latin as a language but I know that learning latin roots helped me and Caleb spent some time learning latin roots and it helped him also. AND you can teach latin roots more as a spelling course and I wouldn't think it would interrupt her wanting to learn Spanish. I learned mine in a college biology class and Caleb learned his in spelling...hope that helps sis. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Ashlie commenting under Alli's username.

    Foreign language is overwhelming to me. Maybe you should try Latin this year and then go with Spanish next year? It would scare me to do both at the same time. But, if anybody could do it, it would be you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input. I am thinking Latin for a year, and then add Spanish next year. We will see.

    ReplyDelete